Thursday, July 17, 2008

Playdates

I have to say that playdates are the bain of my existence right now. I don't have any memory of having 'playdates' as a child. I think I was in 5th grade when I got to go to a friend's house. But lately Emily complains of having 'no one' to play with. And our neighbors, who we adore, are always having playdates... so she wants to also.
Sometimes I think 5 is too young. I don't mind her playing with the kids on the block or going to their houses, but I wouldn't really count that as a playdate. Or getting together with my friends who have kids--not really a playdate in my book.
Some parents don't want to leave their kids at someone elses house and then I have to sit and entertain them as well. And to me the whole point of having someone to play with her is that I don't! Right?! And then she has some boys that she wants to invite over, which is fine, but I doubt Barbies and Polly Pockets are going to make the play date fun! Of course I want her to have friends and be social...but don't you think that will all come as she moves on in school?

1 comment:

Cathy said...

There were 4 boys in my morning class last year - whose moms would set up playdates for after school- sometimes will all of them, sometimes with only 3 or 2, but it would always make their morning sooo bad. They'd be so excited - or so mad at being left out - or whatever. It made me really start to hate playdates, especially on school days.
I think the draw for the kids is that it's planned just for them - not like just going outside and playing with neighbors.
I don't get it, though. Maybe someone who stays home full time gets it - and I bet that it's nice for the moms to have someone to talk to (especially if they don't go to work)!
Oh - and Quinn has never had a playdate.