
And quite honestly, it was better than I ever thought. I am not a girly girl, but I couldn't help myself to buy everything pink in sight. She was, and still is, a clothes horse. Emily is like me in almost every good and bad way. But I loved having my girl.
Then we were pregnant again--this time I thought how nice it would be to have another girl, after all we already had one who was practically perfect...and then we could reuse all the pink things I spent money on. Emily insisted on a sister. I grew up with a younger brother, I have a sister but we are 16 years apart so I was pretty much an adult when she was growing up. I thought it might be a neat for Emily to have a sister to grow up with. Alas, and really happily, we had Joe. Emily cried at first--claiming she wanted a sister, but by the third day of Joe's life she told me, "Mom, you're right I do like having a brother."
And I know...all kids are different. But sometimes it is so amazing how different they are already.
The girl has inherited our awful trait of being a perfectionist. She likes things in a certain order, she already shows great empathy and compassion for others. She is happy, but usually shy. She has a memory like a steel trap. She is very self-conscience and can read the tone in your voice and the look on your face.
The boy, on the other hand, is stubborn--maybe that's a sign of a good memory. He likes to investigate, always looking at how things work. He's got a better arm than Emily already. He is very strong. He seems to be leaning towards the aggressive side, altho I hope that subsides as his language develops. I think that he doesn't like crowds of people...he is not himself when we are with a lot of family, and almost seems relieved when everyone leaves (I'm sure he gets this from his daddy).
By the way...*Warning small rant: Why don't I get a variety of clothing and shoes to choose from for my son?? Has anyone else noticed this? Since I had the girl first, I never had any problems finding shoes, coats, a variety of outfits for many occasions. However, now that I have my son, I get TWO pairs of shoes to choose from and one style of jacket. Then we have the same shirt, just in 3 different colors... Of course I never noticed this before now. But it's just so unfair!
But besides that my boy and girl couldn't be a better fit. They hugged each other for about 10 minutes when we reunited them after a weekend apart. Emily told us "Well I had a horrible time with out Joe" as we left the hotel. So see I was right-- it IS fun having a brother. I must be a genius ;)
3 comments:
Did I tell you about Quinn making lists - he makes one everyday. With 2 things on it - a little baby sister and juice boxes. That's all he needs.
The juice boxes I can provide, the baby sister - we'll see about that.
I so understand what you're saying about boy clothing. I desperately wanted a girl, to the extent I never really considered I could even have a boy (which shows a bit of my personal craziness). At the time of my pregnancy I was working at a local baby boutique every Sunday (to give my husband a span of time each week for studying and to get access to their 30% discount) on top of my regular job as a tech writer. Anyway, probably two thirds of the shop or better was full of all things cute for girls. The clothing for boys was sadly placed in the back with its meager offerings. It's awful. And so unfair. You can account for some of the differences by allowing for the fact that girls have a few items such as skirts and dresses that are not really options for boys but it seems like the cuteness factor is definitely in favor of the girls.
I come by way of Cathy, in case you're interested. :)
Christie--
I think, at least I had my girl first--but I would be a little sad if I had my son and was yearning to buy those little girl clothes...
Thanks for visiting! My inlaws live in Portland, in Argay... This is the first year I am not making the trip out to see them, but my dh will be visiting Oregon brewfest in a few weeks...
Post a Comment